Will moving my site to WP Engine affect SEO?
Yes it will. Your rankings might actually go up!
Page load time and bounce rates are significant factors in search engine ranking algorithms. WP Engine offers very fast and reliable WordPress hosting which will lower your page load times, decrease your bounce rate and help improve your search rankings.
To make sure you’re nice and friendly to search engines when moving your site to WP Engine, follow these steps…
- Create a copy of your site on WP Engine, but do not move your domain yet. Hide the copy from search engines in the WordPress admin area.
- Verify the copy of your site is complete and functional. Verify that the page names are the same on the copy and your live site. Example: /news is still /news, etc. With most transfers this will not be an issue.
- Set the Time-to-Live” (TTL) on your domain’s DNS settings to 0 (optional, but preferred). You can change this setting by contacting your domain registrar.
- Change your DNS settings on your domain to point to the copy of your site on WP Engine. Our support can help with this.
- Unblock your new site from search engines in the WP admin area.
After you have tested the new WP Engine site and are sure that it is functioning properly you can now take your old site offline.